2010-01-28

A Surprise

I just came back from a 4-week adventure in Central America where I had a fantastic time. During my time there I visited Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. Al these countries are unique and truly marvelous in their own special way. The picture on your right shows me sitting next to lava on the summit of the Pacaya Volcano, one of many great experiences.

However, apart from having a wonderful time I also learnt a few lessons. Firstly, I was really surprised about the way the Internet has been adapted in Central America. My naïve assumption was that it would be almost impossible to connect whilst I was away. However, on my first day I was surprised to find free Wi-Fi available at my rather tiny hotel. And interestingly enough, free Wi-Fi is standard in most places in Central America including hotels, parks, pubs, restaurants and other public areas. As I got back to the UK I was surprised to see that McDonald’s decision to make Wi-Fi available for free in their restaurants made the headlines and is the main theme on their website. In Central America, I am sure you would make the headlines if you were not providing free Wi-Fi.

In addition I was surprised about the way people in this region of the world use the Internet. They all use social media, most of them connect on their phones as well. Even in remote villages there is still Internet connection and most people have mobile phones.

The mobile networks are also brilliant, I hardly have reception in my flat whereas in Guetemala I had full reception everywhere, including on the top of the volcano. I think the governments of these countries deserve a lot of credit for making connectivity affordable and accessible at all times.

But somehow I assumed that they had none of this, I expected that they would be miles behind us. But the way they use the internet and other technologies are not very different from the way it’s used in the west. I don't know why I thought the opposite, maybe it was arrogance? Ignorance? Or simply lack of knowledge.

Coming back from this region I have learnt that it’s not only us in the west that are technologically advanced when it comes to the Internet. I just didn't realize that the rest of the world is developing at such a fast pace. These guys also Tweet, use Facebook and carry lots of apps on their iphone.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like an awesome trip Robin.

    I was staggered by the amount of people in the empoverished Haiti that used social networks. It seems like poorer countries value what the internet can do more that us in the west, sometimes I feel we take it all for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its definitely an eye-opener as to the power of the web, enfranchising the 'information poor'. Its great to see no matter where you are in the world, if you can get get in front of a screen that has internet capabilities, you have as much opportunity as anyone else, to learn and discover. We hear about its floors and exploits everyday, but for people in developing countries the Internet can be a blessing.

    I expect to see more pictures soon Robin!

    ReplyDelete